Should I Make the Switch to Vaping?
If you're reading this blog, you're considering switching from smoking to vaping - and that's a big step towards making a real change in your life. It's the one thing in life where you can be proud to be a quitter, and we're here to support you through every step of the way. But making the switch isn't nearly as difficult as going cold turkey, or resorting to nicotine gum or patches that doesn't quite hit the spot.
That's because the nicotine addiction is only the half of it. Quitting nicotine completely without any transition is extremely difficult in itself, but you'll also find that you really miss standing outside with a cigarette and taking a break from your day, the action of inhaling and exhaling something - and even the social aspect of standing out in the smoking area! It's the little things that you've come to know, over however many years you've been smoking.
When you make the switch to vaping, you'll experience a much lower sense of finality than if you were to try and quit with gum, patches or nothing at all. You can still take a break from your day with an outdoor vape, you'll still experience the same inhale-exhale sensation, and you'll still get that nicotine hit. And even better? You get all the added bonuses, from the big financial savings, to the huge range of flavours available, to the ability to vape inside without any smells or stains to your home, hands or clothes, to your choice of nicotine strength... We could go on. Oh, and it's 95% less harmful, of course!
Taking the First Step
If you're a little further on in your journey, and you've officially make the decision to go from being a "smoker" to being a "vaper", you may be wondering where to start. The jargon and huge range of choice can seem a little overwhelming at first, but as always, we're here to help.
The first step is picking your device. We've put together a guide on how to find the perfect device for you, explaining some of the technical terms, going over the different parts that make up a vape kit, and exploring three different types of devices that will help you to pick that all-important first device. We also cover the two different types of vaping - DTL, where you inhale directly into your lungs, and MTL, which you'll find it exactly the same style of inhalation as smoking. Take a read through, and if you need any assistance, please don't hesitate to reach out to the VHQ team.
The second thing you'll need is an e-liquid. If you love the taste of tobacco, you can make the switch much easier for yourself by picking a tobacco e-liquid that gives you an authentic flavour. Our Pure E-Liquid range includes a range of tobacco blend e-liquids to match some of the most popular cigarette brands, so that is always a great place to start.
Menthol smoker? We've got a huge selection of ice, mint and menthol e-liquids that you will immediately click with, or why not branch out and try a fruity menthol or something just a little different? After all, you're no longer limited to a few brands of cigarettes, the world is truly your oyster! Check out our guide on all things e-liquid, which walks you through picking flavours, nicotine strengths and much more. You'll be an e-liquid expert by the end of it!
I've Got the Gear, But I've Got No Idea!
You've picked a device and an e-liquid that suits your preferences, and now you're about to take that first inhale. Let's give you a quick run-down of some top tips before your first ever vape!
- Figure out how to turn your vape device on and off: This may sound obvious, but it's a necessary one! Have a read through your device's manual, and find that all-important on/off switch. Many devices require that you press this button anywhere between 3-5 times, so don't panic if you've pressed it once and nothing happens.
- Identify what you need to do to make vapour: If you've started off with a pod kit, you may have a device that is inhale-activated. This means that you simply take a drag from the device just like a cigarette, and it will automatically make vapour. However, some devices have a button to press whilst you inhale, that enables it to make vapour. Again, your manual will be vital here to find this out!
- Adjust your device: Again, your manual will come in handy here. If you've gone with a pod or starter kit, you might have simple-to-use device with very minimal settings for that ultimate convenience. Gone for something a bit fancier? Start off on the lowest setting (if applicable), and you'll be able to adjust your device until it's producing the perfect vapour for you.
- Check your e-liquid level: You'll eventually learn this yourself the hard way, and it's something even experienced vapers occasionally forget. There is nothing worse than taking a "dry hit", which is where you have no or low e-liquid in your device. If you've got a pod kit with pre-filled pods, you're good to go, but if you have a refillable device, make sure it's got ample e-liquid to avoid a gross burning taste.
- Assess your surroundings: Vaping is much better received than smoking across the UK, but you still need to be mindful of where you are. If you're on your own property, you can vape freely, but if you're vaping for the first time elsewhere, double-check that you're allowed to vape there!
- Get vaping: Hit the fire button (if applicable), put the mouthpiece to your mouth and inhale. You don't have to inhale as hard you would a cigarette, so keep that in mind. Wait a beat and then...
- Exhale through your mouth, like you would a cigarette: or why not try exhaling through your nose for the full vape-dragon experience? Go crazy!
- Rinse and repeat until your nicotine cravings are satisfied!
The Value of a Support Network
As with all changes in your life, it’s great to have a support network whilst you’re trying to quit. Your friends and family are your first port of call, and if you have someone in your life who you can talk to about any struggles you’re having, it can hugely help towards keeping you on track and away from the cigarettes. With vaping now so common across the world, you may also have loved ones who vape - they can be really useful sources of technical and practical advice.
Dealing with Cravings
Whilst vaping is a much more enjoyable way of quitting smoking than going cold turkey or using nicotine replacement therapies like gum and patches, you may still struggle with cigarette cravings in the first week. This is completely normal! The key to staying on track with vaping is to not worry about how much you vape, even if it feels like you need to vape more than you ever needed to smoke.
Cravings typically last for a duration of five to ten minutes, so finding something to distract you during this time is key. Whether that’s making a brew, going for a short walk or chewing some gum, get your nicotine hit from your vape and wait for that pesky craving to pass. Keep the faith - you can do it! We also commonly suggest to our customers that, whilst you’re experiencing cigarette cravings, it’s a great time to reflect back on the real reason why you’ve tried to kick the habit. Whether it’s to save money, improve your health, protect your loved ones or just because, reminding yourself of your “Why” can do a lot.
As you get through the initial week, your cigarette cravings will begin to subside, and you can sit back, relax and enjoy vaping for what it really is. You've got this.
If you have any further questions about making the switch from vaping to smoking, we're always here to help. Just drop us an email or talk to us on live chat!